Planning my Coop and Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by choko, Jan 30, 2013.

1. choko

choko New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    I just got some ply wood from a friend of mine so I can start building my coop! We are planning on having 6 hens and I was thinking about going with an 8x10 coop and run structure to give them plenty of room to play. Once I get it built I am going to fence in a small section of the yard for them to play in while under supervision. There are so many great designs I see online for a coop and run. I'm still trying to decide for certain which I'm going to build. Whatever I build, it needs to be covered or at least wired in on top. We have a lot of hungry neighborhood cats and dogs. Since cash is short I'm relying mostly on friends donating lumber. Right now I think I've got enough plywood to put a small addition onto my house! Right now I'm thinking of a coop kind of like a garden coop (at least that's what it was called on Google). I want it to be 7' tall so that I can walk in it for cleaning and such. The day is getting closer by the minute! Can't wait to really get started!

2. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck on your build. Plan on having it finished before you get chicks. You can incubate right out in the coop instead of in the house, where dust and odor can be a problem.

I currently have 6 birds appx 10 months old, great entertainment and eggs as a bonus! Will look forward to hearing of your progress on the coop.

3. choko

choko New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Oh my gawd. I am so excited about getting this project underway that it's hard to sleep at night! The more that I've thought about it, I think I am going to get started on building just the coop this weekend. I think once I build the coop, I will get a better idea of what to do with a run...well...that and I don't think I can wait until the rest of the lumber comes in to get started. I've read so much online about how to build a coop that I think my brain is bleeding coop information. Just an idea, I don't know if anyone has tried it... How useful would it be to put all the walls of the coop on hinges for easier cleaning? That way I could just drop the walls and sweep it out. Eh, just a thought.

4. Jarrett Dobbins

Jarrett Dobbins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    I know how you feel! Also, I like your idea about putting the walls on hinges! Never thought of that before!

5. katoranger

katoranger Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    Altamont, KS

Hinges are great. My coop will have the two ends hinged for easy cleaning access. The nesting boxes will have a hinges floor also.

6. hausrx

hausrx Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Howard City, MICHIGAN
    I am in the same stage as you, I have built my BROODER , now to start planning my COOP ( chicken tractor ) here in MICHIGAN, I will be ordering my chicks in late FEB, @ Tractor Supply Store, I have the last week off in MARCH for vacation to build my coop, the chicks should be in by then or shortly after, MY WIFE THINKS Im CRAZY !!, lol so hopefully everything works out for ya , GOOD LUCK !!!, DAVE from MICHIGAN

1 person likes this.
  7. strizzo9

strizzo9 New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Choko,

One small suggestion, if you have not already started (I see the last post was 3 days ago), you might consider going with an 8' x 12' instead of 8' x 10'. I only suggest this because the plywood will be in 4' x 8' sheets and this will reduce waste and save you from having to cut it. The framing may cost a tad more, but you will more than make up for that in the added space you will have! Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by