Planning My First Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HippieChick76, Apr 6, 2012.

1. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    I am new to the site and having backyard chickens. The chicks are currently in the brooder, but it is time to start thinking about a coop. Only four of the chicks will get to stay with us due to city regulations, while the rest go to a family member's farm.

Where the coop and run will be located is on a slope. I have been looking at several coops on this site that are on a little built-up area and think we are going to go this route. This will allow us to level up the area prior to beginning the coop and run. At first I were thinking about just buying a pre-made coop due to my limited carpentry skills, but I can't find one that is like what I want. I found a 4'x8' pre-made coop locally for around $1000 after delivery. I would have to make several changes ~ add windows and take out the boxes they have in there because it is just three rows of nesting boxes up the wall~way too many for our little flock. After all the changes and building the run it was quickly becoming more expensive. I decided it was time to search for some plans to build.

I found the Purina coop plan thanks to this site. When I showed it to my husband he agreed that we could probably handle it since it doesn't look too complex. I'm going to be making a few modifications to the plan such as a window, double access doors with screened windows, moving the nesting box, adding a run, etc.

The four chicks that will be living in the coop are cochin bantams. I've read several things that states that you should plan four square feet per chicken. I'm debating if I should make the coop a little larger than the plan. I don't want the girls to feel crowded.

I just wanted to share my excitement ~ it is time to plan the coop!

For those of you who used the Purina coop plans ~ was it a difficult build?

2. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    That does sound exciting! Congrats!!! And can you post some pics of your cochin bantams? Ive never seen them before :)

3. HippieChick76

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    I just posted some pics in my album called "Our New Chicks".

4. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)

5. tyjaco

tyjaco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    congrats!
    They are fun!!!

6. HippieChick76

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    I think I have found someone local to build my coop for me! This will make the process much better for me given my limited carpentry skills! I hope things work out when I chat with him about my coop! Wish me luck!

7. SacCityChickens

SacCityChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Sacramento Ca
    Try craigslist
    I found this 4x8 coop on craigslist for $350
    Made from recycled lumber.Fit right into the back of my pickup
    I bought a couple of hens from the guy's wife while I was there & had chickens in that night.
    Gotta love craigslist!
    Good luck
    SCC

[​IMG]

8. Bangarang64

Bangarang64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Lake Okeechobee
    Do you have any more pics of that CraigsList coop?
    Looks like that might be an easy project for my second run.

Many Thanks!

9. HippieChick76

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    That is a cute little coop. I have checked craigslist, but so far haven't found one that will work for us.

10. SacCityChickens

SacCityChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Sacramento Ca
    I've started another thread "Sac City Chicken Yard", & posted more pictures.
    I didn't think I could buy all the materials & buld it myself for $350. And I know I couldn't do it in one day!
    This was literally full of chickens a couple of hrs after we unloaded it. We only took long enough to burry hardware wire all around the outside of the coop & hang a waterer & feeder.
    The convience & speed alone was worth it. We got our first egg the next day!
    Good luck
    SCC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by