Planning on chickens next year

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pasturepets, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Pasturepets

Pasturepets New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm just north of Reno,NV. I am planning on 3-6 chickens next year when I can get my coop/run set up. I still need to talk to local chicken people to decide on breed(s). The area that I am planning on using was going to be a small garden (12'x14') that is presently fenced to keep goats out; it gets too much shade from the cottonwoods in the summer to make a good garden though. I need to get it covered and an 'apron' around it install a larger door/gate and smaller mesh around it, but the present fencing is 'close' to ground predator-proof. Right now one side is 4'chain link fence, one side is 5' horse fence with 4" posts and the other two sides are 5' horse panels, supported by t-posts inside the panel ends, covered with 4' horse fence (I REALLY wanted to keep the goats out). The coop will need to be internal to the run, with maybe the backs of the nest boxes sticking through the rails of the panels.

Over the winter (along with a dozen other projects) I plan on building a 3-4'x6-8' raised coop with 3-4 nest boxes and roosts with poop boards. I plan to start off with the chicken nipples and the gravity fed PVC pipe feeders. I think I have a line on soy-free chicken feed. I plan on having part of the run (maybe 4'x4') used to compose scraps, grass clippings and horse/goat manure for the garden. The top I have planned would be a modified hoop coop tied into the existing structure, using more 4' horse fence (I have a spare couple of hundred feet from tearing up some useless pens/corrals) I live two lots away from BLM land with several active coyote packs and bunches of hawks.

The chickens would be mainly layers; I would not be opposed to a couple/few meat birds but I don't that I could process them. Eat them, yes;, process them, no.

When I'm home, they should be able to free range the yards and pasture area (1.3 acres in total of sand,rabbit brush, sage and landscaped front yard with fruit trees but the quail seem to like it) The back neighbors have too many Ameraucanas, horses and goats on 1 acre. I am NOT planning on asking the neighbors for help as I think their animal husbandry practices are 'sketchy' to say the least.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your future chickens :)

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Sounds like a great place. For 3-6 hens you will only need 2 nest boxes - they all want to use the same one anyway, but that would still give them a choice. Also, hardware cloth would be the best thing to cover your other fencing with, as none of it is small predator proof. You could put hardware cloth on the bottom 3 feet, and chicken wire at the top.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, PasturePets, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Good luck to you and your flock!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You'll want to keep your chickens away from the neighbors. If you free range will that be possible?

8. Pasturepets

Pasturepets New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Depends on how far they want to stray and how determined they are to get to the roosters. There is about a 1/2 acre and 3 5' fences between the sketchy neighbors and my yard. I would leave them free ranging for very long each day as there are too many hawks and not enough hiding spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by