Planning on getting ducks this spring

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Silkie2, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Silkie2

Silkie2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    Ok awhile back I made a thread that I might be getting ducks, now I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get some [​IMG] (yay! Super excited!!)
    But I need some ideas for the coop (pics of your ducks houses would help too!)
    I would probably only get 2 or 3. Our feed store will have some khaki Campbells march 21, so I plan on getting them then. (I'll have to go back to the old thread, sorry if I repeated some questions!)

Thanks!

2. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    I'm glad you're excited, but just understand they aren't easy to raise like chickens. They are messy and always need their water and bedding changed, they also don't go into the coop at night, or at least mine don't. And be careful because if you want them to imprint on you you should hatch them out, buying them even at a day old makes it hard to imprint. They always need water when eating and get upset even 15 minutes without water, if I had to pick between chickens and ducks, chickens all the way. Not trying to discourage you, but I don't want anyone to make the mistake I made which was getting them thinking they would be clean and fun, but they are messy, smelly, and loud. And if you still decide to get some, good luck :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I tried to send a picture but my phone is acting up....Grrrrr!...;)
    Anyways....Ducks might be a bit messy ?.....lol.....Well, really messy......They are far easier than Chickens to feed and keep.....Ducks are social and are like feathered Puppies all their lives....They are playful and intelligent .....

I love my Ducks....Better than my Chickens......

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  4. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    Mine must be defective lol :)

5. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I have never had chickens but I have 5 ducks. Yes, they are messy but I agree that they are feathered puppies. They run to me when I walk outside. According to my AP Biology textbook (I am a teacher), ducks don't imprint on a person but a species. So, if they see a person right after hatching, they will imprint on people. I bought two Khaki Campbell ducklings at the feed store last year. They spent the first few weeks of their lives living in my high school classroom, getting lots of attention. Then they moved to my backyard where I feed them twice a day, bring them treats at least two others times a day and sometimes just sit outside with them. So, they are very tame. I later realized I should have gotten at least three ducks because if you only have two and one dies, the other is very distraught. I hatched some eggs and now have five ducks.

My five ducks spend the night locked in there enclosed with the house attached to the back. When they were little I locked them in just the house at night. But, I made my house for three ducks (it's 4' x 3') not five, so being able to go out into the enclosure at night helps.
    [​IMG]
    The house is plywood over two by fours. The enclosure is pvc pipe, wood, and wire mesh.

1 person likes this.
  6. Silkie2

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    Thank you for the responses. I plan on getting 4 Khaki Campbells, on the 21st when they come in. Are KCs flighty?

7. Silkie2

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    Also unsure what to do about their swimming hole. I figured I'd use a kiddie pool, but I know that usually needs to be changed a lot. Which I don't mind, was just wondering if there's any other thing I can use.

8. cheezenkwackers

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I only have KCs but I don't think so. Yes, they can get scared and freak out over the silliest thing. Mine are afraid of beach balls, which is how we keep them out of the swimming pool. If you pick up a beach ball they will quickly retreat to the other side of the yard (sometimes banging into each other and other things). I would rather they do that and stay alive, than calmly be eaten by a predator though. They also have tons of personality.

Here are the other house pictures that wouldn't upload earlier.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Silkie2

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    Looks good! For bedding should I use straw, or the chickens wood shavings

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  10. cheezenkwackers

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I think the bedding is a matter of preference but I like shavings because they absorb a lot. In the winter I top it with a little hay to help insulate from the cold.
    I have one kiddie pool, one home depot 35 gallon pond liner, and one rubbermaid containtainer made for storing wrapping paper under the bed. I usually change them all daily (at least every other day). One of those would be fine but it helps to keep my two drakes busy running from one pool to the next. One of my student has two ducks in a small inground pond (8 ft) with a filter[​IMG]

They don't change the water but she says it is really icky. My ducks love it when I have just changed the water and will splash and play in it. I use the dirty water on my garden -duck poopy miracle grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by