Planning to hatch chicks.. Exp with duck eggs only

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carcar80, Dec 1, 2013.

1. carcar80

carcar80 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Hi everyone. :) I am new to chickens (had them for about a yr now) and want to start planning to hatch some. (Preferably something of a gold-laced persuasion.) :)

However, I only have experience hatching ducklings (X3 hatches). Now from what I have heard, duck eggs are a bit more fussy than chicken eggs so I can only hope that's true.

Here are my questions, and as a side note I just use a plain old LG still air bator..

1) I have always set duck eggs on their side and hand turned 2-3x/day with fantastic hatch rates. However I almost always see pics of chicken eggs turned on their small end. Is it OK to leave them on their side?

2) is turning 2-3x/day sufficient, or do you really need a turner?

3) Can you get good luck dry hatching, totally? The biggest bother with the duck eggs was the huge amount of humidifying work at the end.. It sure would be nice not to have to do that much!

I'm sure I'll think of other questions, but this is a start. Thanks!

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  3. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Thanks very much, brahmabreeder. :) Do you think just sitting a small regular fan above my bator (toward the air holes) would suffice? I won't be buying a new bator and hubby will string me up if I start buying stuff for this one, lol. I've never had trouble with hot spots before?

4. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Or maybe I've not had trouble with it bc I've kept the bator on a chair in my room, where the ceiling fan is always on?

5. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    IDK but you could rig up an old computer fan and stick it in there somewhere.

6. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by