1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Plans for a Cheap Tractor Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by new2chickens2011, Oct 10, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I want to build a small, relatively inexpensive tractor, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or plans that they used, or ideas on where to get some?

2. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    There are lots of great ideas on The City Chicken website. I actually just found the site yesterday while poking around for ideas to build a small coop. This site has tons and tons of pictures of chicken tractors. You should be able to do a pretty good one with 1 piece of 4'x8' plywood and minimal lumber. Most of the expense is spent on the hardware wire (don't use poultry wire as it won't protect your girls from predators) and any hinges and such you might need. Also, if you want to paint the tractor, let me know because I have ideas for that too! [​IMG]

3. PixieChixie

PixieChixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
  4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Consider looking for 1 or more old cabinets or night stands for the actual coop part. They can be altered quite easily and can often be found cheap or free. Scan the yard sales and local freebie ads. Advertise locally wanting free scrap lumber. Where there's a will...

5. djjeffery

djjeffery Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    A site I found as a good starting point for building my coop is http://backyardchickendirectory.com/chicken-coop-plans/

They
    have several sites listed that deal with chicken coop plans and some of them are free.

I hope this helps you

Re purposing something to make a coop sounds like an excellent idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by