Plans for Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by zekii, Dec 30, 2010.

1. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Hello,
    We are looking for some plans for indoor nesting boxes for our new coop, not accessible from the outside.
    6 boxes, 3 over 3

Send me any pictures or plans you may have....
    thanks very much !!!

Happy New Year !!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I looked at your BYC page. First, you need to add a bunch more ventilation to what you've built so far; you will need it both for summer and winter. You will probably not need more than 3 or 4 nests, and not until fall if you're going to start with chicks.

I'd urge you to read this first:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    These nest boxes are accesible from the coop area as well as the dry storage area. They're just 4 over 4 though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. zekii

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Quote:Very nice basic design ... Does anyone line their nest boxes with linoleum/vinyl flooring or use plastic tubs ?

[​IMG]

5. Hookem

Hookem New Egg

Dec 28, 2010
  6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:If you want something easy to clean, don't build nest boxes at all, use kitty litter boxes or plastic bins or 5 gallon buckets on their side (cut a bunch of the lid away and put it back to hold the nesting material in.) You can buy plastic bins for a few bucks at WalMart or the like, with an open top; I have one and it is a great broody/mama with babies nest, plus movable, which is great for broodies. Some hens like a more hidden nest and some prefer the open top style. You can also pick up a couple of cardboard boxes and try them, on their side or with the top open, or old dresser drawers (makes a great communal nest.) Many people have stuff lying around to make a variety of styles; you can see what your birds like best. I have 4 different kinds in my coop and they never lay eggs on the floor -- I suspect because there are some choices.

I've never spent money on a nest box -- there has always been something lying around.

7. zekii

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    We need to mount these 6 boxes on the wall, the 5 gallon buckets, or the plastic bins would work if we just put up two shelfs to hold them. Couple of good suggestions .. [​IMG]

8. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    I am curious as to how many nest boxes I will need. What is the ration of hens per nest box? This will help to figure out what type of boxes to use.

1 person likes this.
  9. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice nest boxes

10. zekii

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Quote:I believe I read that 5 laying hens to one nest box .... unless of course you have some hens you are going to let brood

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by