plans for something like a grandpa feeder/treadle feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kristip, Jul 31, 2011.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Looking for some plans for something like a grandpa feeder. sick of chickens dumping food all over but not sure I want to spend $200 on it for a small flock of under 10 hens.
    any thoughts

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I have plans in my sig line. Be sure to look at the v. 2.0 plans at the bottom of the page.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I built one from pictures I saw of one for sale online. They are pretty easy to build and fairly basic. I can jot down the instructions on how I built mine. I took mine out of the run because it was taking up too much space in my limited area. I'd send you mine but the shipping would be expenisve since I used heavy wood.

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
  5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    That is a great idea to mount it on the coop like that. I might have to bring mine back out. Thanks

6. sixty7x

sixty7x Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Warwick RI
    www.woodworkingcorner.com on the left side column a few projects down it says 'feeder'. I just made this one. Seems to work o.k. and is simple to make.

7. Raggedyroad

Raggedyroad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2015
    Utah
    I'm so happy to find this thread. We have 6 full sized hens and 3 four months old hens. They are allowed total free range during the day. Since winter hit we have been bombarded with wild birds. We have been buying a 50 lb bag of pellet 20% feed every 6-7 days (we have some molting going on, thus the 20%). It's killing our budget to have to buy that much feed. Now to convince my hubby that a treadle is the way to go. He gets his mind set on something and it's very difficult to steer him in another direction. He is determined to deal with the wild birds instead of just dealing with the feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by