Plans hurried along by lack of foresight !

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sybadd, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Sybadd

Sybadd Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2013
    My adventure in to chickens began a week ago. I really should have read more on the subject. Not only that but the local wildlife here in Normandie France.

I first put together a temporary enclosure made from shipping pallets and a little chicken wire. This was to make do until after Christmas when I will have a little more time.

It looked a little like this...

[​IMG]

I did my best to ensure it was cat, fox, owl and wondering neighbors dog proof. Sadly me not being "Bill Oddie" I hadn't taken in to account other local critters.

A couple of mornings ago I went out for my usual bit of early morning gardening and found one of my hens walking around the very lifeless body of the other.

There were very few feathers scattered and the carcass looked pretty much untouched except for the neck. When I picked it up I was surprised not to see even a tiny drop of blood. "That's it then" I thought to myself, "an evil vampire chicken" but before I went to the shed for a mallet and steak to 'vanquish' the remaining (hence obviously guilty) hen I thought I'd ask the neighbors...

Weasel ! **** it, I didn't think of those slender creatures while I put together my temp pen. I basically gave it supper in a box.

So despite having a few things I really should be doing I went to my workshop and "hatched" a plan. This is...

PHASE ONE

I had some leftover wood from various jobs on the house. Most notably some de classed pine cladding and some 3x6 beams we cut out for the loft conversion

[​IMG]

I cut the beams down to 2.5 x 2.5 cm bars and grooved them for the cladding...

[​IMG]

Then I'm afraid I got in the hypnotic zone I find myself in when working and photos, food, family... Everything except the occasional cup of tea got forgotten about...

Until I got to this stage...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was all out of roofing felt and also decided it was time to eat something so I put some cardboard calendars as an underlay. I picked up a few sheets tonight so I'll put them on and treat the wood tomorrow.

[​IMG]

So this is the slightly rushed "Phase 1" I have plans to add two more parts. Phase 2 will be built on to the right, have the same base dimensions but will be 2m tall with the top meter covered. This will double up as floor space for chickens and an aviary for my doves.

Phase 3 will have a base dimension of 1 x 2m and be 1.5m tall. This will be just cage.

Not sure when I will get around to it but soon I hope!

2. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    Bienvenu!

I'm so happy to hear you don't have a vampire chicken, but sorry about the weasel attack. Your new coop looks very solid. Is that a knothole I see in the side? If a chicken sleeps near that, I wonder if a weasel or raccoon could reach through and cause damage?

3. Sybadd

Nov 26, 2013
    Merci BlancheNeige and Well spotted, yep there are a few knot holes dotted around the upper part, but none wider than chicken wire. I have left them open for ventilation and light (I will add a ventilation window after winter) but have taken the precaution of stapling a piece of gauze over the largest hole. We don't have those cunning raccoons in Normandie fortunately, so at the hight the holes are I think their biggest threat is a draught :)

4. Sybadd

Nov 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

Thought I'd better post the finished(almost) picture.

I didn't get enough roofing sheets so I'll re do the roof when I build parts 2&3 next spring. Also that's when I'll paint it it's proper colour.

5. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    What color are you planning to paint it?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice job.......weasels can get thru chicken wire, use a smaller mesh on any opening larger than 2.5cm

An apron, 30-60cm out on the ground around the outside will also deter any diggers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That is very cute, nicely done! as mentioned it looks like you have what is commonly called hardware cloth for wire on the bottom is that so?

Like this?

[​IMG]

As well i agree with the skirting, many preds dig and unfortunately gain access through coops that way. Sorry for you loss, not a pleasant start to a new hobby.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  8. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Looks good! Totally understand the hypnosis while working, happens to me all the time! DW always gets on my about meditating, she doesn't understand that the same calming effect can be had when I'm working in the shop.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Absolutely...and you have something to actually show for it!

10. AnomieAcres

AnomieAcres Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2013
    Oi, weasel attack, quelle dommage! Sucks but hope you don't get too discouraged. Where I live mink are the threat, I think they have quite similar MO to weasels but sneakier and able to fit into even smaller holes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by