My adventure in to chickens began a week ago. I really should have read more on the subject. Not only that but the local wildlife here in Normandie France. I first put together a temporary enclosure made from shipping pallets and a little chicken wire. This was to make do until after Christmas when I will have a little more time. It looked a little like this... I did my best to ensure it was cat, fox, owl and wondering neighbors dog proof. Sadly me not being "Bill Oddie" I hadn't taken in to account other local critters. A couple of mornings ago I went out for my usual bit of early morning gardening and found one of my hens walking around the very lifeless body of the other. There were very few feathers scattered and the carcass looked pretty much untouched except for the neck. When I picked it up I was surprised not to see even a tiny drop of blood. "That's it then" I thought to myself, "an evil vampire chicken" but before I went to the shed for a mallet and steak to 'vanquish' the remaining (hence obviously guilty) hen I thought I'd ask the neighbors... Weasel ! **** it, I didn't think of those slender creatures while I put together my temp pen. I basically gave it supper in a box. So despite having a few things I really should be doing I went to my workshop and "hatched" a plan. This is... PHASE ONE I had some leftover wood from various jobs on the house. Most notably some de classed pine cladding and some 3x6 beams we cut out for the loft conversion I cut the beams down to 2.5 x 2.5 cm bars and grooved them for the cladding... Then I'm afraid I got in the hypnotic zone I find myself in when working and photos, food, family... Everything except the occasional cup of tea got forgotten about... Until I got to this stage... I was all out of roofing felt and also decided it was time to eat something so I put some cardboard calendars as an underlay. I picked up a few sheets tonight so I'll put them on and treat the wood tomorrow. So this is the slightly rushed "Phase 1" I have plans to add two more parts. Phase 2 will be built on to the right, have the same base dimensions but will be 2m tall with the top meter covered. This will double up as floor space for chickens and an aviary for my doves. Phase 3 will have a base dimension of 1 x 2m and be 1.5m tall. This will be just cage. Not sure when I will get around to it but soon I hope!