plans or pics needed of feeders that will keep wild birds out!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by goldeneggtees, Sep 15, 2010.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Does anyone have any advice? I'm sick of feeding the resident starlings and sparrows! I can't afford it anymore!!!!

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  3. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi Gallo del Cielo, thanks for the advice on the feeder and the plans. I wonder if anyone has made a long version of this so more than one hen can eat at a time? How do your birds eat, do they take turns?

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Right now I'm training them to use the feeders (I have one in the run and one in the yard). The first week I had them propped fully open. This week I'm propping them 3/4 open. Next week I'll prop them half way open. I only prop them open for 20-30 min. at a time, the rest of the time they are closed. Progress with learning to use them has been quite good. Two birds have figured out how to completely open it and the others come in and eat along side them. Three birds eat from it at once quite easily. I don't expect I'd need much more feeder space for my 6 birds; since the food will be available at all times, any one of them can eat at any time. Before I had the wild bird problem I allowed them to eat as much as they wanted and they rarely ate in groups more than three at a time from my first feeder. Having said that, I don't know why you couldn't just take my plans and make one 24" wide instead of 16" wide.

5. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, that all makes sense. I guess if you add scratch in it from time to time, you might get an overload of waiting hens but the rest of the time (sans treats), I'm sure if it feeds three at a time, that'll work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by