Plant Peeps...What is this Plant?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Oct 16, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I received this plant at my grandmother's funeral and would like to attempt to keep it alive.

So far, I have ignored it and put it outside where it has had no watering other than the torrential downpours in OK. It has had no sunlight except for the bit that is available in the mornings, and that can reach it behind the water-hose holder.

I have brought it into my apartment now, because it is getting kind of cold...and I'd hate to see this really neat thing die. Any help on what it is, as well as any help on keeping me from killing it would be awesome!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It doesn't smell and the buds don't open up. when they do, the flower falls off and a new one begins (you can see the new ones as the white things coming in.

2. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Cyclamen. Keep it well watered but not waterlogged. North window, like african violets.

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Oh no....PLEASE not like African violets! I killed that thing in a month!

I don't have a north-facing window in the apartment...will a lightbulb suffice? Would it have died if I'd kept it outside in the lower temperatures?

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    They like cold, and as long as they don't completely dry out you can't kill them.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    cyclamen...does well in the desert, so long as you water it?

EDITED: they use that as a landscape plant here.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    So even in freezing temps it would have done fine??

7. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I'm a plant person and I kill cyclamen... I let them get too dry. It's the only plant I can't keep up!

So... I guess you shouldn't listen to me. But it is a cyclamen! [​IMG]

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:If it freezes it grows back from the roots, at least mine did, too much sun'll burn it, letting the pot completely dry out'll kill it, beyond that tough lil things.

9. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    gardenweb.com

It only freezes here 1-2 weeks a year. Usually 4 hours a night. So it works great as a winter landscape plant.

10. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Hmm...why didn't it go dormant in the summer? It kept flowering through the summer, then kind of stopped, but when I looked when it got cooler, it was busting out the flowers again?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by