Plant people - Removing aphids from houseplants?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by TwistedSerpent, May 22, 2010.

1. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Hello, the beginning of the month I picked myself up a little viola to have inside, and I just noticed now that its infested with aphids. I gave it a good spray but theres still plenty of the little buggers. Is there a safe way to remove them without harming the plant (preferably without insecticides)? Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    lots of SOAPY water sprayed all over.

3. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Sorry I just came across this...soapy water is great, make sure to get all the crevices and the soil too. Some people also like to use a "spray" and then systemic disease control (granular) that you sprinkle around the base about once a month and water in that gets into the plants 'system' and helps prevents more bugs/disease popping up.

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Put your potted plant in a trash bag and tie it around the stem. This will prevent the dirt from coming out all over when you spray it etc. Take it over to your tub or kitchen sink (depending on the plant/pot size) you can tip it on its side and use a spray bottle with some soapy water in it and spray it down good. Make sure to get under the leaves and into all the crevices because they will hide there. Then rinse the plant off good with warm water. If you have a sprayer attatchement on your facet it will help a lot. You could also take it outdoors and spray it if it is a really large plant.

5. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    These are great suggestions, everyone!

You can try distilled white vinegar applied by a spray bottle. The acidic content burns off those little buggers, while leaving the plant unharmed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by