Plant thinnings and chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenkassai, Jun 12, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Doing some gardening this morning, and I need to thin my carrot seedlings. They are very fine and tiny, and I would like to give them to my chicks, but my chicks are not yet eating grit. I don't think they are something I would need to chew, but I just don't know about the chicks [​IMG] I have 4 chicks that will be one week old tomorrow, and 3 chicks that will be 2 weeks old tomorrow.
    Should I give them the seedlings? Should I give them a little bit of starter grit and then give them the seedlings? Should I just toss the seedlings (we don't compost yet)?

Thx!!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I would give them to the chicks. My chicks (and adults) go crazy for carrot greens. If you have a lot of greens, you could always get some chick grit. (or go searching for tiny pebbles to offer to them)

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I personally give mine grit by their third day. That way their systen gets set up so I can give them things like this if I want to.

I just use sandy dirt. You can give them a bit of construction sand, not play sand. Play sand is too fine and smooth to do any good. I often scrape up some small pebbles and coarse sand from my gravel driveway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by