plantar faciitis

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gapeachy, Dec 19, 2008.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    does anybody else have this wrong with their feet?....also known as heel spurs.....it has gotten to be a chore just walking to the chicken pen during the day.....I keep wondering when it is going to go away....doc gave me a shot in my heel which lasted about 3 weeks.....ugh....thinking about getting a cane

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My husband has them, bless his heart. He is a firefighter who works two jobs (is on his feet a whole lot) and just can't afford to have this problem. I started researching heal spurs and went to the store to get a good pair of cushions/insoles for the inside of his shoes. They make them specifically for heel spurs and they cost around $8 for a pair at Wal-Mart. You also need to get some extra calcium some how. I've been having my husband take supplements. Amazingly enough, he announced last week that he thought his heel spurs were gone! Try some insoles and up your calcium intake to see if it helps. Good luck with it! [​IMG]

3. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    thank you I will try extra calcium.....I got some insoles from the doc and put them in my boots I wear to the chicken pen.....the doc said do not wear tennis shoes or flip flops those are my favorite shoes....

4. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I could see the no flip flop thing, but no tennis shoes? [​IMG] My husband wears his insoles in his work boots and his tennis shoes. I truly don't see what the big deal about the tennis shoes would be. I also would not go back for another shot. That is just a temporary fix and what you need is a permanent one. [​IMG]

5. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    he said he likes shoes with heels....I have been wearing clogs with a small heel.....i like to go to the gym and walk on the tread mill and that has been out ......no I dont think I want another shot....I think after christmas I will go to my regular md and see what he thinks....maybe a round of medrol would help but I dont like to take prednisone

6. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Buy 2 pair of good running/walking shoes with good support. Buy 2 different brands. Alternate between pairs ie-1 day Nike 1 day reebok. This will help relives some of the pressure on your feet. Different brands have different pressure points. Ask your PCP about anti-inflammatory medication if your not already taking some. Hope you feel better soon.

7. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:This might have been what helped my husband because he would be in his tactical boots and then switch off with his Nike Shocks. That does make complete sense.

Hope you feel better soon. [​IMG]

8. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    yeah I have thought about the nike shocks....i will try those....I have been wearing regular nike

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    OMG...it is the MOST painful thing I've ever had...other than childbirth!! [​IMG] Anti-inflammatories...Ibuprofen is the best for me...sometimes a splint to wear at night to keep his foot from tightening the plantar fascia overnight. The BEST thing is to have them injected but that is controversial and some podiatrist feel like it can cause problems down the road. Mine got so bad a few years ago that I actually had to use a scooter for about 7-10 days. I just couldn't put any weight on them. That really did help them start the healing process. I did lose about 30 pounds and that helped a lot too [​IMG]

10. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    before I got my shot my foot was waking me up at night with sharp pain running up my leg....only relief is just stay off of it....well I need to lose 30 pounds too but it is hard for me to lose weight without exercise....so I guess I will just suffer the pain and take advil and get back in the gym.....but sometimes I think that is what caused it....those years I took those step aerobic classes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by