Planting a garden with ducks in mind

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Nevermind.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Garden? with ducks?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have no garden. What the geese didnt eat - the ducks have finished off. I made one of my favourite garden beds into a rock garden:lau

If you havent yet planted- it would be a good idea to consider putting in some raised garden beds that can be fenced or else the ducks will find a way to "pick their own" of whatever you decide to plant for them.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Gardening with ducks.
    (A beginner's guide)

Basic layout.

Ducks---->| &&& |<--- Strong fencing Garden-----> | **@@** | <-----strong fencing
    Ducks THERE...........................................Garden WAY OVER THERE

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, but nevermind. Really. I was looking for help and information. Very cute. Have fun.

6. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    LOL... No KIdding.

Our garden fared pretty well last season because the ducklings came after it was up and growing and it could keep up with them when they got big... Will be another story this season.. Yep gonna have to fence off for awhile till the garden gets a good size.. Then will let them in.. Going to have some mighty unhappy quackers for a month or so. LOL. They have had the run of 3 garden areas from summer till now..

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My Muscovies never really bothered the garden, except to pick bugs. The geese just about killed half of it off in a matter of hours though! [​IMG]

You should try it & see how it works for you. Like mine, some birds are different and wont really wnat to bother with the plants.

8. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i think the post was about what veggies to grow for the ducks, im sure the 1 who posted the topic really appreciates the help

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Oh, well I got her a little late lol.

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I had a little fenced in spot, maybe 4x25 ft in size that I grow mainly tomatoes and some peppers in and every now and then when the grass and weeds start getting thick under the plants, I would put my 5 ducks and maybe a few hens in it for a little while, but I would keep an eye on them, and they usually ate the grass pretty good and left my tomatoes alone. but like I said, keep an eye on them and don't leave them in there long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by