Planting a veggie garden in chicken run

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by chris783016, Apr 18, 2017.

1. chris783016

chris783016 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2016
    I have an 8X4 planter box that I have used as a chicken run for about a year and have never cleaned it, just added hay to the floor of it if it got muddy. It is exposed to the outside. I was thinking about moving the chickens to the planter box next to it and using the box that they pooped in for a year as a veggie garden. All I was gonna do was mix in some fresh hay and leaves and give it a good tilling. Do you think that would be ok, would it be too much manure and cause burn, do I need to do something else? Any help would be great.

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    I let my chicken manure (I use deep bedding method with straw) sit for a year I turn it once every other week. After the year I use it in my garden... chicken manure can burn plants easily if too fresh. from google which I know to be true.. "The high nitrogen and balanced nutrients is the reason that chicken manure compost is the best kind of manure to use. But the high nitrogen in the chicken manure is dangerous to plants if the manure has not been properly composted. Raw chicken manure fertilizer can burn, and even kill plants."

3. chris783016

chris783016 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2016
    Thanks for the info. So what if I till it with the soil underneath it? The run is exposed to rain and sunlight. There are only 3 chickens in this run.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  4. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    how smelly is the manure?

5. Kellycbf

Kellycbf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Midwest US
    I think it would be fine. You only had 3 birds in their and it is not straight up manure, it is manure plus other organic material that has been exposed to the weather, especially rain. It has been composting actively for a year. The chickens have helped it compost by moving it themselves. But, I am a newbie and am learning as I go and am willing to try new things just to see how it turns out.

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I would mix in some soil. I let my chickens play in my garden beds until a few days before I'm ready to use them, then mix up the soil underneath with the poop and some composted litter from the run, fence it off, and it's good to go.

7. ella&clara

ella&clara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    I would add in soil too. If you wanted to wait until fall to plant, adding in the hay and leaves would be fine, but if you want to plant now, the composting process would take away from the nutrients.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by