Planting Bamboo Today

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 7L Farm, Mar 11, 2012.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have this real smart neighbor he's so smart I never ever want to see him again. I was asked before they started building the house if it floods here. I told them yes the house will get flooded out. Two weeks later they started building. Maybe, three weeks later this happened. HA HA !!! Never could figure out why he asked me & then went ahead & built it. [​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Now what are they going to do? Probably relocate the house LOL! All that money being wasted on building on a flooded plain!

3. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    "And here is your sign"

4. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Bad move. Can't believe they didn't use the geological survey to research the local terrain and conditions before even thinking about building.

Well, they may relocate without even trying, if that flood water up and carries the house away.

Hey, I started reading this thread because the title said it's about bamboo. I grow bamboo! So, are you actually planting any? :)

5. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yes, I'm fix in to plant 4 different varieties. I got 17 plants in pots its clumping Bamboo.Some are in gallon pots some two gallon & some 5 gallon. Can't plant today because its raining. Not complaing we need the rain.

6. GardenerGal

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Bamboo makes a great privacy screen. I have about 35 different varieties and some of them grow real tall while others are more like shrubs or ground cover so I got layers of screening. It's like living in a jungle. :)

They grow fast because I mulch 'em with all the poultry poop-and-shavings from the barn.

7. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yea, think I'll save my chicken poop for my garden & use some neighbors cow manure for the boo. I got one variety that grows crooked might need it some one day for a walking cane. The other boo I can use to make a terilli's to grow veggies on & the rest to block off my neighbors.

8. GardenerGal

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've seen a crooked type of 'boo called "crook stem" (scientific name Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis') and it has a lot of zig-zag culms. Weird looking in a really cool way. If I had room for more 'boo I'd get some!

Horse manure and cow manure compost REALLY works great for bamboo. Plus anything you add to loosen up the soil so the underground system can take off. Though hard soil doesn't seem to stop it in the long run!

9. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Its sandy loam here I mean its like living on the beach.

10. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Be careful with bamboo of that genus -- they are "running" species, and unless you have a large area planned for them, they can become overwhelming in their spread. If you like the idea of a low-density spreading grove, choose "running" species. If you want tighter specimen- or hedge-plantings, choose "clumping" species. I was looking into bamboo while thinking about what plants would work for me in south Florida in a few years, and I came upon many species that work well in the warmer parts of the country and aren't as spreading -- unless that's what you want.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by