Planting For Chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EggcitedCBuzz, Oct 10, 2012.

1. EggcitedCBuzz

EggcitedCBuzz New Egg

Oct 10, 2012
    Hey Everyone,

So my 5 "lil" turd machines destroyed my patch of lawn... Instead of putting in new grass, I was thinking of planting things they can eat. Any suggestions on things to plant? I was thinking of making it a "chicken garden" that way I don't get frustrated if they eat it and I will be able to keep it looking somewhat nice (to replace the lawn appeal). What have some of you done? I don't have a lot of land but would like to do something unique with what I have. Thanks :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. OldRoo

OldRoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    I divided my run in half, and sowed "ceral rye", if its warm enough, it will germinate in 4-5 days, and be about 4 inches tall in another 4 days. It also will keep growing until 33 degrees. cost 24.00 for 50#, and will go a long ways

3. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    just before nch of winter hits i always put my chickens in a smaller run and sow a bunch of winter grass then a plant some seperate spots outside of the run with oats and mixture of other random grasses and clip some off every other to feed to them good luck!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by