1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Planting Fruit Tree for Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ellie, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I am going to put in a clover/seed mix in a big field that is full of weeds this fall. I would like to plant a few trees for the chickens to have shade in that area.

I thought a fruit tree that drops fruit that they like would be good. I seldom go out there, so messy fruit is no big deal.

Any suggestions, warnings, thoughts?

Thanks much,
    Ellie

2. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    My neighbors have a few old peach trees that have been dropping peaches EVERYWHERE! I go over with a bucket and collect all the "ground fruit" to give to my chickens... They LOVE it!!! My birds have an old apple tree in their run that I just "rehabbed" (it was left alone for over 20 years and was insanely huge and not bearing well) we'll see how that goes next year! I have noticed that the girls don't really peck at fallen apples though, they seem to be to hard... But the peaches are nice and smooshy! YUM!!

3. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Idk if their are any trees with seeds poisonous to chickens but you might want to check that out.

4. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Peach sounds nice, and I was thinking about a cherry plum tree. The grandkids could pick and eat (because they are smaller fruits) and maybe the chickens will like them.

I love hearing the ideas and experience y'all have.

Ellie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by