1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Planting grass, etc

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by allergymama, Apr 2, 2015.

1. allergymama

allergymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    So last year we put in geothermal heating which means we have HUGE areas of the yard that are just mud now. We really want to get some grass or something put down. Our intention is to plant part of it with grass and part with something for the ducks to graze on. We free range them all day.

My question is with putting down seed what is the best way to actually grow the stuff as opposed to just adding a different kind of seed for the ducks to eat? If we put straw over it, will that allow it to germinate and grow enough to eventually fill in or do we actually need to put a fence up around the whole space. Part of it will be garden too. Do you let them in your garden? Not until everything is up?

2. DucksAndGardens

DucksAndGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    You will need to fence it off so the ducks can't get to the seeds because as soon as they start sprouting the ducks will pluck the tender morsels up and eat them.

What I did for my grazing section of the yard is I bought a grazing mix of fescue, orchard grass, rye grass, white clover, red clover and I think some wheat grass. I raked the soil flat and then took a large bag of peat moss and crumbled it up across the whole area until it was all covered. Then I lightly sprayed it with the hose just to dampen it. Then I spread my seed over the peat moss evenly and then watered it again thoroughly. I blocked it off so the animals couldn't get to it for about 3 months and I watered every day. After 3 months it was fully grown in and I could then open it up and let the critters in to graze. I also added a row of dandelions along one side because my rabbit and tortoises love dandelions.

As for the garden, you shouldn't let the ducks in until the plants are about 4 inches tall because ducks have big flat feet that will squish any seedlings. But once they are about 4 inches you can put stakes next to the plants to keep the ducks from knocking them over and they should be fine. Added bonus is the ducks will eat the bugs and slugs and leave a natural fertilizer as they do bug patrol. They will also eat any newly sprouted weeds that pop up because they like the tender shoots.

Good luck!

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Keep in mind any grass seed from the hardware store has been treated and you need to use something for grazing. I'm having one heck of a time finding stuff around here that hasn't been treated with any type of chemicals and that the ducks can actually eat.

4. allergymama

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    Thank You both. I like the idea of a mix of stuff for grazing. I'm less enthusiastic, although resigned to fencing (I am the eternal optimist...was really hoping I could say "no, no, don't eat this" and they wouldn't. Lol) I live in farm country so hopefully I can find untreated seed.

5. DucksAndGardens

DucksAndGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
  6. allergymama

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    What height fence do I need? Will 24" chicken wire at least kind of keep them out?

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Should, if not 3 ft will be plenty. I usually don't need anything higher than 2 ft unless there is something that they really, really want.

8. allergymama

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    Just ordered some pasture mix! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by