Planting grass

Peckyweck01

Songster
Aug 30, 2020
Mcminnville, Oregon
I have a large run with 8 or 9 chickens in it. When I first put up this run there was tall grass covering every inch of it, they have ate it all down and I was going to plant some more grass or wheat in there to let them pick at. How do I do that without them scratching it/eating it when they first sprout tiny little grasses. this is the run now..
DSC_3588.JPG
DSC_3589.JPG

You need a grow frame, or grazing frame.

So make a frame, cover with wire small enough that the chickens can't reach into it, and about 2 inches above soil level. (Visualize a framed painting, with wire where the painting goes, tossed onto the ground).

That way the chickens can't dig up the roots, and don't get to eat the grass until the grass is tall enough to not die from the onslaught.

You need a grow frame, or grazing frame.

So make a frame, cover with wire small enough that the chickens can't reach into it, and about 2 inches above soil level. (Visualize a framed painting, with wire where the painting goes, tossed onto the ground).

That way the chickens can't dig up the roots, and don't get to eat the grass until the grass is tall enough to not die from the onslaught.
ok thank you! i will be sure to try it!

Back
Top Bottom