planting marigolds

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mykee, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Mykee

Mykee Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a few small marigold plants I just put into my garden; they each have a few flowers and buds on them. Should I pinch these flowers off so the plants can grow larger? They are only about four inches tall. Thanks!

2. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    not sure on how to grow them but i will say keep em away from your hens

marigold is used as a yolk pigment-er in layer feed

they go crazy for it as they have a taste for it

3. chickenstricken

chickenstricken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Nor Cal
    My Coop
    I grew mine from seed this year. They are over 2 feet tall and not one hint of a flower on any of them. [​IMG]

4. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Strange...I wonder if this is a certain type of marigold?? Mine normally never grow past 6-8". They are great for keeping pests out of the garden...something about the smell but I'm not sure. Chickens love them not only because of their taste, but because they look like dandelions - which many chickens love to feast on. But they also look like food, and chickens think everything is food, so I would keep them away once they begin to flower.

5. Mykee

Mykee Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting about the chickens eating them...

6. caitanni

caitanni Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2013
    marigolds need a lot of light so as not to become too tall. I went through this a few yrs ago when I grew my own from seeds. Just wondering...are they good for chickens? I am looking to add flowers or greens to my chickens diet. Right now they are in coops and I can't let them free range so I am looking for other alternatives.

7. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I took some seeds from a friends marigolds that grew to 2 feet and higher last year. Couldn't remember where I put them until this weekend when I found them in the garage.planted them on the edge of the garden, will see what happens. got any pics of yours?

8. tcmstalcup

tcmstalcup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Pinching the flowers won't really help growth. I would pinch them when they look spent to encourage more flowering.

9. chickenstricken

chickenstricken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Nor Cal
    My Coop
    Mine are finally starting to bud, and a few have reached the 4 ft mark. The only pics I have are up close of the tops next to a tape measure. I'll try to get some farther away ones in the next couple of days.

10. CurtisCr79

CurtisCr79 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Shelbyville, KY
    Sounds like you got African Marigolds by mistake. They grow to 2-3 feet before flowering. my wife did the same thing a couple years back.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by