Planting shade around the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tejasgal, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Tejasgal

Tejasgal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Millsap, Texas
    What type of bushes can I plant around the coop to give my chicken's shade? I live in Texas and there are no trees or anything in my back yard. Thank you.

2. linders

linders Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    I've read that grapes are a good thing to plant for shade and wind protection. But I am a newbie, so this isn't from my experience-just from what I've read. We do plan to plant them around our coop, though.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    With grapes there are two things to consider. How strong are your post and beams for your fence and how well does the run drain. If either is negative, the use of grapes is out. The grapes can pull down a fence and cause mold to grow on ground that is shady and moist. I found out the hard way on both scores. On a hill no less.
    Now if the soil is sandy and the grapes can be on their own structure where in the evening they can shade the run. It would work great. Whatever you plant keep it a distance from the wire or it will either pull it down or cause it to rust out. If I remember right Texas is rather dry and has hot wind. Something in the grey leaved family of scrubs from a good nursery for shade might be a good idea.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by