1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Planting slugs and stuff for your ducks....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Aug 4, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Yeah, I really am this dumb.....my ducks free range all day on my acre lot, but....what if they run out of tasty stuff to eat? Do you ever (or can you even) buy stuff to put in your yard for them to eat??

2. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I buy my ducks fish and crickets and mealworms. And I catch them locusts and slugs and other nummies. Spoiled? Who?

3. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:I also buy mine fish, crickets and meal worms. Whenever I come across something that I think they would like while working outside I always catch it and bring it to them [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have a board that I laid on the ground next to the ducks pen so I can pick it up and collect the worms and slugs from underneath to feed the ducks right through the fence. The ducks will line up when the see me picking the board up. [​IMG]

5. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Great idea! I am copying! [​IMG] Thanks so much!

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a pond system I use to grow goodies for the ducks. I stock it with rosy minnows in spring. They live on algae and mosquito larvae so I don't even have to feed them. When they start reproducing I feed the extras to the ducks. I also stock it with duckweed. String algae apparently came in with the duck weed culture, but the ducks eat that too. When it gets thick I rake it out and feed it to the flock.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by