Planting strawberries?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by australorp_breeder, Jan 13, 2010.

1. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    This is my first time planting strawberries and I hope to God I'm doing this right. My mom got a strawberry growing kit from someone a long time ago. I planted 10 strawberry seeds in a bucket with the soil they gave me. The date I had planted them was around the first day of winter. Nothing has came up yet, and the soil has stayed wet ever since I planted them. I think I kind of flooded the soil...I had to press against the soil and drain some water out of the bucket. I keep the bucket outside in the sun during the day, and bring them inside at night because of the cold. Any tips and information is greatly appreciated!

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I grow them from started plants, and then plant the runners to keep the patch going.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Do they come back every year or do you have to plant more?

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Perrinieals, they'll send out new runners (plants) 1-2 times a season. The mother plant is good for 3 years and then declines, so you'll want to let them grow out new plants every few years.

5. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Did I plant them at the right time? When will they have strawberries? Do they take long to grow?

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

7. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Thank you for the link, debiraymond! I'd also like to hear personally from people as well if you have anymore to say about growing them.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:The easy garden is BYC's sister site and all the gardners hang out there. You will see alot of the same people over there that are here! And they are all garden minded, so you will get answers faster.

9. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I planted a patch this year. I got a few berries from them and they shot out many runners... I hear you don't start getting good crops til year 2 and so on.

Planting them from seed will be more difficult. And they will need heat to germinate.. like a tomato as they are warm weather crops. Depending on where you live, it is probably still pretty cold outside even during the day. Try putting them in a sunny window and keep the soil moist but not flooded.

10. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Thanks! That stinks that you don't get to harvest anything until the 2nd year. Someone told me that since I planted them in winter they should be ready to harvest in the summertime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by