Planting tulip and daffodil bulbs now?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by conny63malies, Jan 28, 2010.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Please move to approbriate forum if neccasarry.
    I just came back from picking up my DH painmeds(he just had oral surgery)Since the meds werent ready yet i walked aorund the PX store for a bit. I wandered over to the gardening section and found 75% reduced flower bulbs. I bought passionale (purple) and worlds favorite(red yellow) tulips and flower drift(white with yellow center) and tete a tete (yellow ) daffodils. I paid only 2.28$ for four bags with a total of 25-30 bulbs. Who could pass this up .
    Anyways do i plant them now and hope that they bloom in spring , should i plant them in the ground now , or in containers and then at some point later into the ground. What are the chances they will bloom this year?
    What type of soil plant medium is the best/approbriate?
    Oh and my plant hardiness zone is 5b NE KS.

2. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    anybody ??? somebody????

3. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I don't know what the weather is like in Kansas but it is best to get them in soil as soon as possible.
    They will come up later than they should, rich soil well drained.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

DW with the green thumb says they should be planted in the fall. She says a few may come up this year, but most will wait till next year. Sorry!
    Oh yeah, she is from Kansas

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
  5. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Oh and they already sprout a bit, i mean a few have some green tips. THey prob have been stored in a cold ware house during christmas. I will put them in the ground after payday it should hit the 40s this week. And if they die it was only 2.28$. The last time i grew bulbs,no those were tubers, i had gloriosa lilies.But that was in FL.
    I guess i'll put them under the small tree in the frontyard or by the garage walkway

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Good luck!!

7. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    I think that the bulb flowers need to be planted in the fall. And won't bloom until Spring after next. But, we did plant onions today!

8. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Put those bulbs in some dirt in a pot and keep em watered. Maybe they are a little late to bloom or early but who cares a flower is a flower anytime. Keep em inside if you like [​IMG]

I planted mine in laaaate october but if saw some on sale I would buy em [​IMG] and plant em!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I always plant bulbs in the fall. You've really got nothing to lose tho by going ahead and sticking them in now. They need a period of cold temps to bloom their best.

10. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    THe last thing i thought about in october was planting bulbs.We just moved and had to get everything unpacked. I'll try and see how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by