Planting Vegies in the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Animalian, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    The dirt in there is well fertilised, aerated and bugs are controlled thanks to the girls, and once the plants are a certain size my hens stop eating them anyway.

I've also heard of people planting big leafy vegetable plants in their chicken runs to provide extra shade for the birds in summer.

Has anyone tried this? What vegetable plants work best?

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Depending on how many birds are in the run, the plants won't last long.
    This time around, I have started a 2-run setup. While they destroy the first one, the 2nd is growing.
    but I have waaaay too many chickens!

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    it didnt work for me at all. I planted a garden in pots all around my run ( thats where the sun is best) Even after they got big enough-they chewed it all up! [​IMG] no cherry tom's no squash-no nothing!!!! Maybe you can do better? [​IMG]

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I was thinking something like pumkin or brocolli. But they're onyl winter right? Yno big leaves, and my bantams probably won't be able to get into a pumkin and the fuzz on the stems might put them off.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:UMMM I was talking about my plants around my bantam run...LOL they destroyed my perfect little garden:)

6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I only have a butter fly bush in mine and honestly I destroyed it trying to repair the run, the chickens mostly leave it alone. Next year though I'm going to plant herbs around the outside of it and corn along the back side of it. That way I can just pick and dump it into their run.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    in a 1'X4' under the window potted planter box. Well plant grass and then secure it about 3" above the grass with hardware cloth and let the grass grow through the wire mess and they will cut it for you if you water it.

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. chickens? not yet

chickens? not yet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    Very Nice!!

10. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011