plants and flowers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PharmGirl, Mar 2, 2013.

1. PharmGirl

PharmGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Weston, WV
    I am looking for flowers/plants safe for my chickens (I'll be getting babies 3-29) I want to make sure what I put in flower beds/around coop is ok for them. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated :)

2. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I like to plant herbs near the coop and run. -great providers of fragrance and the chickens tend to leave them alone. There is a good list on BYC that gives some common plants to avoid due to toxicity. We have Lantana all over (and it is supposed to be toxic). The hens leave it alone. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/740982/toxic-plants-list

I've found that the chickens tend to avoid those things which aren't good for them.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I believe that the chickens won't eat bad plants, if they have enough free choice. They delight in eating weeds of all kinds. We just about don't have weeds anymore.

I have rosemary and sage planted in one bed. They forage in the bed, but don't eat the herbs. You can tell when they have been in there by the way they smell. They eat everything they can reach on the loropetalum, but avoid the yaupon planted next to them. We have azaleas and lantana, but they don't eat them.

Chris

4. PharmGirl

PharmGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Weston, WV
    Thanks for all the info. I just don't want to do something to harm them on purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by