1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Plants around coop ????????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 5peeps, Jun 21, 2008.

1. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Can anyone tell me if it's OK to put ribbon grass around the coop were the chicken might have accesses to it ?

regards
    will

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I'm sorry, I don't know what ribbon grass is. But it occurred to me to ask a question...

Are you wondering if the chickens will harm the grass, or if the grass will harm the chickens?

3. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    Why not plant something pretty and useful like nasturtiums. Great in human salads (flowers and leaves) and supposed to prevent internal parasites in chickens. It's an easy to grow annual that thrives in poor conditions.

Just a thought. [​IMG]

4. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    It's an ornamental grass ? I was wondering if it would hurt the chickens if they eat it ???

thanks
    Will

5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:those sound really great, can you get those at home depot or lowes?

6. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I have seen started plants at our Home Depot and Wal-Mart, but I usually just get a packet of seeds for .95 and just plant around the coop. They grow pretty fast. [​IMG]

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Nasturtiums grow easily from seed, at least where I live. Sometimes I can find them at the big box stores where they sell the started herbs & vegetables.

I hadn't thought of planting them by the coops. I often plant things that look pretty and are also good for the chickens to eat. They like collards & spinach, which I grow from seed. I have wire shelving pieces I can put over them, to keep them from digging it all up.

8. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Quote:Great idea about the wire shelving!!! Way to go! [​IMG]

9. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    do you just lay the wire shelving on the ground and let the seeds grow through it?

Do you think that would work in the coop?

ah dumb question nothing grows in the coop.. themoment it thought about growing someone would peck it..LOL

10. princess buttercup

princess buttercup New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    UpState NY
    I plan to plant lavender around the run/coop. It isn't on the don't list and it will smell nice. I also plan to make lavender oil with the harvested blooms. (if they don't eat it all)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by