plants around the outside pen

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kdcolorado, May 12, 2011.

1. kdcolorado

kdcolorado Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    What type of plants can i grow for shade that are edible for my chickens?

2. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    Try Climbing Nasturtiums and Scarlet Runner Beans. I am going to use both of these plants. I have started them in pots but you can start directly in soil after frost threat is over. They are annuals and grow pretty fast. I didn't start them in ground because I moved my run and have the old area growing in with a forage mix right now. I will move them back in another week or two and then transplant the potted plants into the ground. I have read on here some people grow grape vines too. You may be able to find more if you do a search. Somewhere on this thread there was another discussion on this I believe. They had lots of ideas and unfortunately I can't remember them all. Sorry. Hope you are able to find out some other stuff to plant. [​IMG]

3. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    [​IMG]

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:See my BYC page for Pics: Mulberry trees, apples, persimmons. Tomatoes in cages, squash, etc, etc, etc.

5. Fool

Fool Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    We're doing some peas and beans on the outside of the run. The birds can have whatever they can reach.

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I plant little yellow pear tomatoes, peas, swiss chard, lettuce, green beans, strawberries, raspberries, grapes and have a trumpet vine growing on the outside of the run to create more shade in there for them. Keep in mind if you dont fence the plants off until they are well established the birds will eat them. They killed the raspberries here last year and are now working on the giant hostas I planted in their run.

7. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    I plan on putting a Dwarf crabapple (only 8 ft tall but thick limbed) to pull triple duty as a treat, a cross pollinator for our 'real' apple tree, and a roost inside the run (though it will need fenced off the first few years). I also grow grapes along the back of the run to hide the run and provide shelter, treats, and shade. (It's a pretty big run:lol:)

8. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    I have brussel sprouts on the outside/south side of my chick run. This allows them to have shade pretty much all summer long as the plants grow and they get like 5 feet tall. You have to plant them early early. I planted mine on st patricks day and right now they are only like 4 inches tall. I also like planting corn close to them too because its so tall it offers shade in the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by