Plants around the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NotTheMomma, May 15, 2009.

1. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

I tried searching for this, but my searching skills may be lacking.

My run is chain link dog panels, with chick wire on the inside to keep the chicks from sticking their heads out. Unfortanetly they don't have any shade until later in the evening though. I know they would spend more time outside if they had shade. So I'm wondering what I could plant bush wise.

Would lilac, forcynthia, climbing roses, and/or flowering quince be ok? Those I already have here, so wouldn't be a problem to transplant some there. Otherwise I will need to go buy some.

Are they poisonous, or would they work for adding shade?

2. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  3. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know it is not a good looking as plants would be, but I throw an expensive tarp on part of mine.

4. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Yes, yes, yes and yes... and well as grape vine, blueberry bushes and anything else that isn't toxic to them...

Planted on the outside of the run and allowed to climb up, it will cover the run nicely. Well.. Besides lilac.. which does not climb.

5. NotTheMomma

Thanks to you both so very much!!!

I don't see any of my bushes listed, so will transplant some this weekend.

I was thinking of a tarp, but my run is 20' wide, and 30' long, so I don't know if I can find one that's that long. Plus we've been getting LOTS of rain, and a tarp wouldn't stay up with all the rain.

They have the coop, and two dog houses they can get in when it rains, but need shade.

I'm thinking of putting up a bamboo shade on part of the run to see if that helps at all. My great aunt has one she was going to throw away, so worth trying while the plants grow.

Wish I had thought to plant a tree there last fall, and maybe that would have helped.

6. NotTheMomma

Quote:Ohhhh grapes I can do as well!!! And raspberry!!!! YAHOO!!

Thanks!!!

7. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    LOVE THE IDEA- I will mention that to my DH this weekend, the chickens would love extra shade, and how eye pleasing![​IMG]

8. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    NotTheMomma: My pleasure... The chickens will surely love the extra shade, and treats that they can reach.

9. deeredawn

deeredawn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Nova, Ohio
    I've had great success planting various sunflowers around my coop. Tall and short alike and then when the flower expires, I just toss the heads in the coop for a treat!

10. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Dawn, that's a fine idea as well. In fact, I may try that with part of my run.. For right now I'm just going to plant the back out with blueberries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by