1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Plants chickens love?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by itstartedwith2, Mar 18, 2015.

1. itstartedwith2

itstartedwith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Bancroft NE
    So along with the bigger coop my husband and I are building I want to start some plants to put around it that my chickens would enjoy. I already started some inside Parsley, cabbage, dill, and broccoli. I just pulled 4 off a list and was wondering if any of you guys have certain plants your chickens enjoy?

2. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Honestly grass is the thing that they consistently should have access to. Don't overlook that.

Alfalfa also has great nutrients, barley is cheap and easy to grow, clover is also easy and very healthy.

3. itstartedwith2

Feb 23, 2015
    Bancroft NE
    Thank you :) yes my plants are going to be on the out side of their coop and run fenced in as well so that way I can limit their access. I don't want them to over do it and even kill off the plants by scratching or pecking too much :)
    They are allowed to the entire farm as long as I'm home to make sure no predators come in the yard

4. Garjzla

Garjzla Overrun With Chickens

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    The thing my chickens love the most is grass. Sometimes when I'm out of pellets and scraps I just give them loads of grass for breakfast, they literally DEVOUR it.

5. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Sweet potato leaves from the kind they sell in the store. Nutritious and they like it, plus it grows fast, is undemanding, and is easy to spread by allowing a piece of vine to root. You can also eat it...not much flavor, but it is so heathy it is worth adding to salads. And because it vines, you can also train it to create shade where you need it.

You can buy pieces of vine called "slips", or grow from a sprouted sweet potato from the grocery store.

Best thing is that at the end of summer, you get to harvest your own sweet potatoes, and you can feed those (cooked) to the chickens, too!

:D

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/gardening-with-freerange-chickens-for-dummies-chea.html

Nice link above.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  6. itstartedwith2

Feb 23, 2015
    Bancroft NE
    Thank you guys:) I have a question I've read about people planting grass in their runs and covering it with a wire top. Does that really work? Has anyone tried it?

7. Garjzla

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    I haven't, but I bet their little beaks would reach. Try covering the grass seeds with a big bin with holes on the top for the sun and rain to get through;)

8. itstartedwith2

Feb 23, 2015
    Bancroft NE
    That's a good idea! I think I'll try it and see what happens:)

9. Garjzla

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    Thanks!:) I usually just pick handfulls of grass, it's easier:p

10. itstartedwith2

Feb 23, 2015
    Bancroft NE
    Hahahaha when we mow the yard we use a bagger we put it on our garden but I always save them a load the go crazy!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by