Plants for ground cover?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coloradowildflower, Apr 23, 2011.

1. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    What plants make the best ground cover for a run? I would like it to be green and relatively scratch-resistant. I’d like to avoid the bare-dirt look if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated and I’d love to see some photos of your runs!

2. If your climate permits, Cherry guavas make good cover and the birds don't eat the leaves. They will eat the fruit though.

3. coloradowildflower

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks, Chick Charm!

Anybody tried growing alfalfa in the run? How does it work? Any cautions?

4. coloradowildflower

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks, Chick Charm!

Anybody tried growing alfalfa in the run? How does it work? Any cautions?

5. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    My birds are in a tractor that gets moved every day, so they don't have a permanent run. They do however tear up the ground and I was thinking that I might want to re-seed with something each time I move them... maybe alfalfa or clover. I'm interested in hearing what others do!

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Mine are in a tractor /pen during day so if I move it often enough I don't have a problem. I have all kinds of grassand clover and they eat it all. There was a thead on here for a salad run where they grow grass in the run under a wire frame.

7. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Do a search for salad bar..you will find some great ideas on keeping green in the runs!

8. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
  9. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    Just remember that it's very difficult to grow anything inside the run when the chickens are already in there. I have seven week old chickens and placed them in their coop and run three weeks ago. (The run is 10' x 40') I had some nice grass growing in there, but it's almost completely gone. The only way I know how to grow a salad bar or "grass bed" inside the coop is by using 2x4 or 2x6 treated lumber as framed rectangles along the fence with 1" screen over top so the chickens can only eat the tops off the grass as it passes through the fencing. It's only been two weeks since I did this and the grass is growing nicely in those "beds." It hasn't reached the screen/fence level yet, but the chickens are eye-balling it closely! It looks like they can't wait. The only part that concerns me is the amount of chicken poop that's being deposited in those grass beds...I try to wash it out some by flooding the grass beds with water, but I'm concerned all this poop will eventually "burn" the grass from the concentrated/uncomposted fertilizer the chickens are providing. I'll post pics when I get the chance... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by