Plants for quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quail king35, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Quail king35

Quail king35 New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    I was thinking about planting some native trees and shrubs in my back yard and was hoping the wild king quails would move in. Anyone got any idea what I should plant in my back yard? Also what do plants do they eat in the wild im thinking of planting some plants that they might like to eat

Thanks

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Where on earth do you live that has wild king quail? (super cool btw)

Plant milo and millet. Both grow a stalk that eventually produces seeds that all birds love.

3. Quail king35

Quail king35 New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    Ok thanks I'll plant some milo and millet.

I live near a national park in Australia.

king quail sometimes come through my garden.

1 person likes this.
  4. kikithebird

kikithebird Chillin' With My Peeps

hello and welcome to Backyard Chickens what state do you live in im in victoria plants for quail plant milo and millet like dc3085 said and plant some australian native grasses such as kangaroo grass and wallaby grass and put some plants with dense prickly fiolage for protection and feeding might also work

5. kikithebird

i made a list of good plants tussock grass tall spear grass spiny mat rush weeping grass hakea lomandra

6. Quail king35

Quail king35 New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    Thanks heaps I will plant all plants that where mentioned.

Kikithebird I'm in Queensland, you have 2 budgies and kakariki, that's awesome! Wish I could get kakriki but unfortunately I can't find any hand reared ones in my area[​IMG]. I do have a sweet little hand reared Lutino cockatiel, had her for about 1 year. Would show you a picture but I'm not sure how to put one up.

7. kikithebird

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    kiki is very popular with the kids where i live i have just taught him to run an obsticle course

8. Quail king35

Quail king35 New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    Awwww so cute! Here are some pictures of my bird[​IMG]

9. Quail king35

Quail king35 New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry some pictures are not very clear i just took them and lighting is not good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by