Plants for raised planter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CraigT, Feb 23, 2014.

1. CraigT

CraigT Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    I have an old scrollwork metal outdoor fireplace which has outlived its use and I want to make it into a planter for my duck sanctuary ( K so it's a fenced in square of land with nothing but a shelter and a kiddie pool at the moment but I can call it what I want lol) It sits about 2 ft off the ground and the dish is about 12 inches deep. What types of shallow rooting plants would work in here that could grow over and hang over the sides so that the ducks could eat off the hanging portions. I have done some research but so many focus on the toxic that I have found it hard to find a decent list of non toxic plants .. not shrubs or bushes or grasses which is what most seem to focus on.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    strawberrys with a lot of mulch?

3. CraigT

CraigT Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Hmm did not think about strawberry's that could be a good idea.. have to check to make sure they can withstand the heat and also how they season. Thanks keep em coming !!

4. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Alyssum
    Pansies, but they aren't heat tolerant,
    Nasturtiums.
    Marigolds
    Ferns

Here's a list from the ASPCA: http://www.toxicsinfo.org/Pets/NonToxicPlants.htm although many of them are not suitable for a flower box.
    Here are lists of toxic and non-toxic plants http://www.plannedparrothood.com/plants.html
    Here is a list specific of doves, which I think would be similar to chickens/poultry: http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/Articles/plantlist.htm

I planted winter-hearty icicle-pansies in a flower pot last fall and my chickens ate them down to the ground.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Same here even up under the window in a window box my chickens got to my pansies.[​IMG]

6. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I was just reading through the list of poisonous plants, and think you should be aware that many would only be poisonous in large quantiies. I have had many of those "poisonous" plants on my property and have kept chickens for many years, some living as long as 9 years, and those old-timers dies from a dog attack, not from poisonous plants. A couple of springs ago, my chickens ate the rhubarb down to the ground with no ill affects. I have bleeding heart, iris, blood root, and rhodedendron for years. Some of these the chickens leave alone.
    I wouldn't recommend planting these poisonous plants around the chickens, but wouldn't worry too much about it if they got into them and ate a leaf or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by