Plants for Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jdgbirds31, Jan 10, 2015.

1. jdgbirds31

jdgbirds31 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    I want to do some landscaping in the new fenced area we are making for the chickens. I've seen plenty of lists of toxic plants I shouldn't include, but the only shrub/plant I've seen that the chickens won't destroy is a butterfly bush. Are there any other safe bushes/flowers I can plant that they won't destroy?

2. FishNFowl

FishNFowl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2014
    I've been looking for the same thing but haven't found much. I was going to try a fig. Hoping it will grow high enough and winter over well.

There a quite a few examples of fenced beds and grass type beds with fencing over them so that chickens can only eat what grows through the fence and not wreck the roots. Good luck.

3. jdgbirds31

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm wondering if some of the plants that are supposedly toxic would actually be ok, especially if it means the birds will leave them alone and just use them as shade/protection. We had them free ranging this summer and they regularly hung out in the boxwoods and azaleas, both on the toxic lists, and we didn't have any problems.

4. jdgbirds31

Apr 15, 2014
  5. m80fierro

m80fierro Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2014
    New Mexico
    I have an established honeysuckle vine that they love to eat. Its climbed up so far that they can only get to the lower leaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by