Plants in Peafowl pen.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by kuntrygirl, Jan 11, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I puchased 2 Majesty Palms this weekend at Lowe's. They are both 5 feet tall if not taller. They were on sale for $9.00. I will be completing the peafowl pen in a few days and I purchased these plants to put in the pen. Do you think that my peafowl will eat these palms?

The cashier told me that these plants have a 1 year warranty. If anything happens to them, I can bring them back for a full refund or 2 more plants. I was like HUH? [​IMG]. I asked her if my chickens should happen to eat the plants, can I still get a refund. She said yes. She said it doesn't matter what happens to them. She handed me my change and receipt and said, "See you next month". [​IMG]

Here is a pic of what they look like. This not the actual pic of the trees.

[​IMG]

2. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

AndysPeafowlSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sadly enough those trees are gonna be snacks [​IMG]

3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks Andy. I guess I"ll plan on keeping them in the house.

I planted the seeds that you sent me Andy. I can't wait to see them grow. Thanks again!

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Hmm I am not sure about chickens but I am not so sure peafowl would be after that. I planted a palm in the peafowl pen that had leaves that were not that thick and the peafowl didn't even peck at it. As a general rule normally your soft plants will be bird snacks, and the harder plants like palms will be more likely to make it. I just love Lowe's they have soo many great exotic plants.

One of my favorite kind of plant I have in the peafowl pen is a Fatsia. I have two small ones and a bigger one and the birds don't eat the leaves. The leaves are thick and nicely shaped. In the summer the peafowl like to lie under the big fatsia and now that it is winter this plant is still green and the only dead leaves it has had were the tender new leaves that the winter got to. The peafowl pecked off the dead leaves and ate a bit of the dead leaves but that has been it. I would get them big since my small ones haven't made much progress like the big one has.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Something for sure your birds won't mess up is bamboo, and you would want the clumping kind of bamboo not the regular kind. Clumping bamboo works like a bush it stays in one place but more shoots will come up, but will stay in a clump. The regular kind is what you don't want because it spreads and doesn't stay more in a clump it sends roots out everywere. Philodendron selloum has the awesomest leaves, it makes me think of elephant ears all torn up and squiggly. My Philodendron selloum isn't that big but when they are big they are so pretty! The peafowl don't eat these ither. Here is a picture of a big one I found off google search, I have seen big ones like this at a restaurant.
    http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2002/06/07/FloridaGardener/2ef820.jpg
    Yeah and those cannas Andy gave you will be beautiful, I have some around my peafowl pen, and for some reason the peafowl don't really eat the purple cannas even if they are small purple cannas, they don't really go for them like they do the green ones.

Sorry about all the plant information.[​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Oh, thank you for all of the plant information. I love it !!! No need to be sorry. It's all about learning and I love to learning something every day. Keep the information coming. Love the pics. Thank you for sharing.

ETA: Beautiful plants

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  6. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Oh and I also use cast iron plants in the pen too, they seem to be really hardy so far and the birds never peck at them.[​IMG]
    I still get pretty plants hopping they will be peafowl proof but sometimes it might take a few days or a week before the peas finally decide to tear up the new plant so these plants are all the survivors.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by