Plants in the chciken run...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by My11BabyChicks, Jun 15, 2011.

1. My11BabyChicks

My11BabyChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Ringwood
    Hello!!!
    Just finished my hi-tech chicken run and coop this past weekend! ABOUT TIME!
    Was looking for some insight on plants and bushes I could plant inside... Any suggestions?

2. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    they absolutely love tomatoes... they probably wont let them grow and but if you are feeling nice you can go buy a large plant at this time of year and plant it for them till they destroy it

3. My11BabyChicks

Apr 14, 2011
    Ringwood
    Thank you! I will do that!
    How about decorative yet a shade provider for the run? Any ideas?

4. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I don't know where you live, but I'm in Oregon and going out this morning to plant a couple of hearty banana trees in the coop. They act as a big umbrella in the hot summer, then die back in the winter allowing the weak sun in. Perfect. I do put a round of plastic hardware cloth around the base until it gets upward of 5-6ft. They leave the base alone when it's big enough, but LOVE the leaves. Luckily they get about 25 ft. tall.

I also have established boxwood in my run that they love to sit under in the rain and heat, but don't eat enough to hurt them.

5. gunnarmcc

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    we all would love to see pics of the run if you have them

6. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

7. My11BabyChicks

Apr 14, 2011
    Ringwood
    Thanks! I will post some if I can figure it out shortly!!!!

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Whatever you plant, protect it with chicken wire until it's well established [​IMG] I went with some little bamboo plant, which I didn't protect and it's barely hanging in there. And I have raspberry bush, but it's protected. I think I'm going to add blackberry...

9. My11BabyChicks

Apr 14, 2011
    Ringwood
  10. gunnarmcc

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    looks great!!!!!! great looking birds too. I might plant some dwarf citrus or apple not sure where you live but i like the idea of the tree that is easily maintained at a low height and you might as well capitalize on the black gold your birds produce and grow something

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by