Plants safe for ducks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tmayk, Jan 27, 2014.

1. tmayk

tmayk Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Our ducks have an inclosure inside of our fenced yard, but during he day they are allowed out to roam the whole yard (their pond, food and housing is in the inclosure).
    This year I am planning to border the whole yard with flowers and to put in a very large raised bed to fill with herbs and lettuces. Is there anything I shouldn't put in?! Anything that would be toxic to the ducks? The raised beds will be high enough that the chubby Pekins can't get up to it, so anything that might be harmful can be interchanged with the lower stuff. Thanks in advance for any info or advice!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, I know digitalis(foxglove) is fatal. I need to turn in, but I will think more about it on the morrow.

3. DucksinOR

DucksinOR Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]Well Amiga, if Foxglove is fatal, our ducks should have all been dead last year. As soon as they got free range of they yard, they MOWED the foxglove to the ground and have NEVER let it grow back. [​IMG](And they are perfectly fine!) (I am not saying that you should plant your whole yard in it, maybe your ducks would have a problem with it, I don't know) As far as I know there are not any plants that would be a problem, except for thorny plants. We had blackberries and raspberries until last summer, and our ducks still have bumbles from them.[​IMG] If you want the ducks to not pay much attention to your plants, DO NOT WATER THEM!!!! [​IMG] Other than that you should be fine. [​IMG]

Yes, I do have an obsession with smiley faces.[​IMG]

4. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    duck should not have some plants cause it is fatal to some breed of duck

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I am not aware of an actual list but they do love to munch, mine ruined my potted flowers on the front porch last year.. they got into my koi pond and desecrated my pond Lilly... ate all my lettuce in the veggie garden, will say they don't touch tomatoes.. not a single fruit or plant(which is good since the plant is toxic lol)

I have heard of foxglove like Amiga said, i know bleeding heart, basically i stick to ones that aren't.. i'd use a dog/cat list.. i use a lot of petunias, marigolds, pansies.. etc i wouldn't want to tempt fate plus i have to admit i have other livestock who on occasion *cough* get loose...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Here are a couple of other threads or links for you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/320920/poisonous-plants-that-could-harm-chickens-ducks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746496/toxic-plants

Rhubarb is high in oxalic acid, interferes with calcium uptake. Per my vet.

There are other threads, and the consistent theme is: this is toxic. no it's not.

Would love to find a well-researched duck-specific resource. I can dream. Some mushrooms contain nasty substances, but I don't think you're worried about them. It probably depends in part on the duck's general state of health, how much they ingest in proportion to their body weight, and so forth.

And some of the effects might be hard to notice - diarrhea, dizziness, impaired organ function, heart palpitations . . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by