Plants that affect egglaying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazyaboutchickens, Oct 12, 2013.

1. crazyaboutchickens

crazyaboutchickens Live Long And Prosper

Apr 10, 2010
    Nowhere/Everywhere
    I've heard that Marigold Flowers will cause a deeper orange in egg yolks and Velvetleaf will cause rubbery yolks. Not sure if I got the second herb's name right. This isn't for any specific problem, but what other herbs should I watch out for, or remove from their free-ranging area?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Anything high is carotene will result in darker yolks. Chickens don't assimilate it so it ends up in the yolk. No problem with that and most people like seeing a darker yolk.
    I'm not aware of anything that will make a rubbery yolk.

3. crazyaboutchickens

crazyaboutchickens Live Long And Prosper

Apr 10, 2010
    Nowhere/Everywhere
    Okay, so apart from carrots and marigolds, what other plants have chemicals that chickens can't assimilate?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Carotenoids are in most fruits, vegetables and other green plants. Broccoli, lettuce, squash, pumpkins, collards, persimmons, melons, dandelions, spinach, apricots, mangoes, sweet potatoes, etc..

Legumes, grains and other seeds have lots of anti-digestive compounds and growth depressing anti-nutrients that affect chickens. That's just the way it is.
    Some of those are saponins, phytic acid, tannins and trypsin inhibitors. Heat treating is necessary to eliminate some of them. Sprouting also breaks them down.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  5. 21lnenne

21lnenne Just Hatched

Aug 14, 2016
    Can chickens eat velvetleaf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by