plants that outlast ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ro.netcmarie, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    i wondering what kind of plant i should get to sprouse up around our pond that would be hardy enough that my pekins wouldn't destroy? anybody got any ideas? please help.

2. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    hey if you find anything out let me know. i have been wondering the same thing and cant find any info.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Eggplants and pumpkins is the only thing that survived the famous 07 muscovy attack in my garden. THey love pepper plants

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I don't know if you want small plants, veggies or large plants, but I have ducks, chickens and a turkey and I planted very large shrubs in their area. The chickens eat all the leaves as far up as they can reach but otherwise the shrubs survive and look fine. Just make sure they are not poisonous.

5. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I have been working on a duck-proof garden for around the egdes of my duck area. I use a blue plastic pool for them with the landscaping bricks around the edges (like you would for trees or retention walls) so these are not water's edge plants...but here goes! I just buy a few plants from my feed n seed (non poisinous types) and whatever goes uneaten after a week, I buy a few more to plant and a new type as well. Here are the uneaten ones so far

1. Monkey grass
    2. dusty miller (a whitish colored 12" high plant with wider leaves)
    3. local texas bluebonnet
    4. fig trees.
    5. grape vines
    6. raspberry bushes
    7. ash trees
    8. juniper

CLEAR losers
    1. bougainvillea (spelling?)
    2. violets, all varieties
    3. cannas
    4. waxy-leafed shrub with red leaves (unknown name, thrives here in central texas)
    5. peonies
    6. violas
    7. dwarf grey sugar snap peas

This is all I have tried so far, what has worked and not. It's only been a couple months, and I will report back when I've tried a few more plants. I hope this helps you!

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    That's a handy list [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by