1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Plants to help keep chickens & dogs separate?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Darklingstorm, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Right now my chickens are free ranging the yard but the poop is getting on hubbies nerves. Nothing like stepping in poop while having friends over for a BBQ. So this fall I'm going to construct a large run for the chickens. Here is the problem: Without taking even more away of the yard for human use and keeping the animals in the most shade possible, the chickens and dogs have to be close together. One of my dogs has already killed one chicken and hurt another. I've tried for 3 months to find him a new home, but no one wants him and I'm not going to kill or "take him to the country" either. He isn't trying to dig out to get to the chickens but will (and has) pulled them through the fence when they get too close, like sticking their heads in to eat his dog food. So a very good fence system is the answer.

So here is my plan. Run two fences down between the two (indicated in red on the pic, the green circles are trees) run areas. At least 1 foot buried with 4 feet high above and on the chicken's side also running chicken wire or hardware cloth (so chickens can't put their heads through & future chicks can't get through). The fences will be 2 feet apart. I don't want a privacy fence because I do want the air to flow through. Was also thinking of putting some cement down to discourage digging from both sides. Not a lot but enough to keep the fence from being dug out.

What I would also like to do is plant something in the 2 foot space between the fences that will help to keep them from seeing each other as much as possible (out of sight out of mind). Any suggestions as to what plant to put there?
    The area is mostly shady & dry. It needs to be something that doesn't require a lot of work (pruning), since I won't really be able to reach it once planted. The weather here is hot and humid.

[​IMG]

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have no idea, so I'm not being very helpful, but I do think you have a good plan! Shrubs of some sort? Daylilies? Vines that would climb up the fences? I'd be interested in knowing what you come up with.

3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I would say some sort of bush. That way it will keep the screen all year long unlike some plants might. Can you grow any evergreens in your neck of the woods? Maybe look around and see what businesses use for landscaping. They are sure to be hardy and would provide a thick barrier. You will have to show us all when you get it done. It sounds like a practical idea to keep everyone safe and happy! [​IMG]

4. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  5. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    Honeysuckle, it will cover the fence

6. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I love the honeysuckle we have here. I do not need to trim it or do anything special, but mine in the shade died and in the sun those are thriving.

I have a 4 foot strip between my kennel and the property line fence. I do not like that neighbors kid. I caught him reaching over the fence to hit my dog ( a shi-tzu ) so I put up a 6 foot fence 4 foot inside the line. I planted lilac in there and so far I have had to go in to pull weeds at least 4 times a season.
    You may need to make the gap large enough that you can tend to the weeds. [​IMG]
    I am thinking maybe arborvite (sp) it is evergreen and grows pretty straight up. Maybe cobble under to help keep weeds down.
    I do like your plan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by