1. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Last year when me moved in my husband vigorously proceeded to mow down and pull out all the bushes next to the chicken coop. Now their block of wind and sun is gone. Anyone have an cheap ideas to replace them and what kind they think I should use.
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Are you wanting plants or something else.. I like to use lattice and plant a vining plant so they can grow up .. Just make sure it is not something that will be toxic to the birds....
  3. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Thats a great idea!!!! Thanks.
    Have a great holiday.
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some don't like it 'cause it's so invasive, but I'm looking at placing some honeysuckle along one side of my run...
  5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I use bamboo, but you have to cut the ones that try to get away. I just did that this morning.
  6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    I like bamboo, too. About eight years ago I bought a single plant for around $6. Now I have a forest and I didn't have to lift a finger to water it or fertilize it. Bamboo sends out runners in the spring. When it pops up somewhere you don't want it to grow, you just cut or kick over the bole, and that's it for that particular growth for the year. It will try again next spring, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by