1. CrystalsCoop

CrystalsCoop New Egg

Feb 18, 2013
    I want to plant a vine like plant near the coop so they can eat the bugs off of it. [​IMG]
    My question is what is a good plant and safe for them.

2. ktklages

ktklages Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm unaware of any toxic parts on a rose, so maybe a climbing rose? I can't imagine the chickens would run into issues with the thorns.

3. CrystalsCoop

CrystalsCoop New Egg

Feb 18, 2013
    I was thinking a jasmine, the smell would be nice and it grows like crazy, i have one in my front yard.

4. ktklages

Dec 15, 2012
    Jasmine is beautiful and nontoxic, but the jasmine VINE is highly poisonous to dogs and cats so I'm assuming chickens as well :( passion vines out, honeysuckles out, hyacinth vines out.... Maybe trumpet vine? I dunno I have to look into it

5. ktklages

Dec 15, 2012
    Success!.... Well maybe... Wisteria! The only part that is poisonous are the seed pods. They're huge so very easy to pick off, but it would be a fair amount of work. Plus, very invasive so I'd be constantly having to keep it under control. I guess if all else fails you could do some cucumber. Not exactly the prettiest, but it would still be some greenery and hey!, fresh veggies... If the chickens don't get them first ;)

6. ktklages

Dec 15, 2012
    Okay one more... But this is my fav so far... Nasturtiums! Beautiful flowers, fast growing and edible! Hope this helped!

7. CrystalsCoop

CrystalsCoop New Egg

Feb 18, 2013
    Thank you so much,[​IMG] I will have to look into that one, see if I can get in my area.

8. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Im thinking about a grape vine for my coop. We have a native wild type that grows pretty easily around here. Or maybe even Try a domesticated grape too. Nasturtiums are annuals I believe. I plant them by seed every year because they do freeze out and die where I live. Idk if it will climb well or train on a trellis...just from a couple varieties ive tried. There are also some gorgeous clematis varieties. Not sure about their toxicity though. Haven't googled that. :D

9. nursebecky99

nursebecky99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Alamance County NC
    Any other ideas on good plants to place around coop and run? What about climbing roses? will they hurt chickens?

10. minnow

minnow Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    Pace, FL
    Would you consider sugar snap peas? They grow fast, climb, have pretty flowers, and make delicious treats! I've never grown them around my chickens (as this is my first season ever raising chickens), but does anyone else have any thoughts?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by