plase help my dear hen

teresa42299

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2013
I have a buff orpington hen that needs help. she was missing for a couple of hours. when I found her, she was sitting by herself. I did a look over her and she was making a weird noise. the bottom of her right wattle is swollen, she has a kind of a crust around her right eye. when she sneezed there was like a bloody snot. it seems like she can't breath through her nose. when she breaths it sounds like she has something in her thought like mucus or something. please help me figure out what's wrong with her.

Is there any possibility that she may have been stung by an insect ? I ask the question because one of my girls showed very similar symptoms, the following day the swelling on her wattle started to reduce..she made a full recovery without intervention, it was thought ( by other posters on BYC ) that she had an allergic reaction to whatever it was that happened...maybe look very closely at her wattle to see if there is any indication of a sting/piercing...

Hope she improves rapidly!

Does she have food in her crop. Can she stand up ok? Is she noisey when she breathes. Do you see bruising on her? Do you think something got a hold of her and smashed her? Does her skin feel hot to touch?

I don't know if she has food in her crop. she can stand up fine. she is noisy when she breathes i don't see any sign of bruising and she felt did feel hot when I picked her up earlier. ill have to look over her again in the morning/afternoon.

I know I ask a million questions. I just look them over real good. If her breathing is noisy and any drainage from nose or hot I would give antibiotics. Her crop is in front of her and you can feel some healthy chickens and feel the food in front and know the feeling then feel your sick chicken and see if she has some in her crop. I always make sure they have something in it. I will take bread and pour milk over it and open their mouth and put piece toward back of mouth and they will swallow it if they are not eating on their own. I am huge Tylan 50 fan for an antibiotic and use it alot. It does cure about 90% of all the ailments my chickens have had so I tend to lean on it alot. I like to mix it with penicillin because tylan alone is pretty destructive to tissue. I take 1 cc of tylan 50 and 2 cc of penicillin and mix in syringe. I will give 1cc of this mixture under the skin on the breast of the sick chicken. If you don't want to give a shot I will give Tylan 50 by mouth. I don't think it works as good though but it can be given that way. I give a big bird 1cc orally and a bantam 1/2 cc orally. I also mix it in the water and it does work. I add 3cc to 1 gallon of drinking water and change it at least every few days. Depending on your weather sick chickens tend to be hypothermic. I try to give them a light if it is too cold over them or bring them in the house. Make sure it doesn't have mites. Adams flea spray works wonders for them a spray by back of tail and under wings and at neck. If it is wound by waddle I would put some triple antibiotic ointment on it make sure it isn't the kind with the pain reliever in it because that kills poultry. Plain triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin works wonders on feet and combs and around the noses if sore. Let us know how she is in the morning.

It sounds like you are dealing with a respiratory disease. Infectious larygotracheitis or ILT can cause bloody mucus from the nose and mouth, but I would observe her for more blood, since it could be an injury. Swollen wattles can be seen in frostbite, coryza and fowl cholera, and maybe other diseases. Definitely isolate this chicken. ILT is a reportable disease in many states. Also reguardingthe Tylan 50 and penicillin, I would not recommend mixing those drugs, I would check those dosages, and Tylan 50 should not be put in the water for treatment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom