Plastic 1/4 inch Hardware cloth

JoshRonin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Saw some 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth at Lowes today. I'm building my quail cages and wondered if anyone has ever used this stuff for the flooring? I know if its outside where things could chew, this wouldn't be the best option, but in a garage?

Here is a link to what they have on the site. Lowes.

Your link says it is 1/2 inch. 1/4 inch for the floor would be too small for poop to fall thru. And yes, critters could probably chew right thru plastic. It is always best to stay on the safe side with metal hardware cloth. :) If you are planning on keeping your quail in the garage, out of harms way, then you might do ok with this plastic stuff.

Don't try to cut corners when building your pens.Your birds safety is at stake.It is not worth losing birds over a few dollars.ALWAYS use wire,plastic is just waiting for something to chew threw and have a tasty meal.Hardware cloth everywhere.
In N.H.,Tony.

When I was building my first cage last month, I considered using that stuff. Then I thought about it for a while and came to the conclusion that a small critter, like a squirrel or chipmunk could chew through it to get to the "all you can eat buffet" leaving my quail a place to escape, or worse. I also thought about applying some latex paint to the galvanized flooring to reduce the corrosion that will occur over time. Then the more I thought about it, the more I figured that if I built it, I could repair it.

Back
Top Bottom