Plastic Chicken Wire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 19maycraft, Dec 5, 2007.

1. 19maycraft

19maycraft Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2007
    Smithfield, NC
    I am in the process of building my coop and purchased the plastic chicken wire...It seems a little more durable the regular chicken wire...has anyone ever used it and would it be ok?

2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Hi,
    I have bought green plastic coated chicken Wire I used It on my duck pen because that was all they had and I needed it. It is stronger then the wire that is not coated.
    I did run a peice of hard ware cloth around the bottom 12 inches of the cage.
    I have had this coop for 2 year with no problems.

[​IMG]

3. 19maycraft

19maycraft Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2007
    Smithfield, NC
    thanks for the reply, I meant this..not the plastic coated chicken wire

Product Description
    Product Description
    *(Landware/Tenax-60789-2X25 Green Poultry Fence)* - Hexagonal plastic mesh is identical to its metal counterpart in its mesh design and variety of applications. Holds shape better than metal chicken wire. Some applications are barrier use around gardens and along paved sidewalks, as well as poultry netting. Mesh size: 3/4" hexagon openings. 25' roll. No. 060789: 2' x 25', green No. 090786: 3' x 25', green

4. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Can't help ya. I never heard of it.
    I googled "Landware/Tenax-60789-2X25 Green Poultry Fence"
    and it found nothing. NO INFO & NO PICTURES.

GOOD LUCK

5. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I used the 3' size on part of my main run and I like it. It's heavier than regular chicken wire, easy to cut and put up and you don't get cut up like you do with the other. I wished I'd used it on the whole run but I couldn't find it at the time.

6. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    easy to cut

I think this may be the draw back! Does not take much to keep the chickens in but some of the reason you build a run is to protect from predators.
    the metal, poultry wire is not that good at protection from predators due to the fact that it is not strong enough for a determined dog or coon. The plastic may be less protection In My humble opinion.
    Randy​

7. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I use it to cover there roosting alot better on there feet!

If you are in an area with peretitors they would want to eat your chickens they will naw right through that!!! [​IMG] sorry!

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    FWIW, our raccoons will gnaw right thru most sorts of plastic. I bet yours, if any, would too.

Pat

9. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    We've used to cover areas in the yard fence where the smaller chickens sometimes slip through. Over time I think our winter weather here in CT breaks it down some. I do like to keep some on hand for emergency fence repairs though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by