Plastic drums for automatic waterers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ohiodoglaw, Dec 13, 2008.

1. ohiodoglaw

ohiodoglaw New Egg

Nov 22, 2008
    Hey, I'm looking for a good source of (preferably free) big 55 gallon plastic drums for a variety of things, one of which is gravity waterers. Anyone know where I can find some that aren't used for holding chemicals?

gas stations use them to hold windshield wiper fluid. I can get those, but wouldn't know how to properly clean them, so I'd love any thoughts you might have on that as well!

Thanks

Kendra

2. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    If there are any bakeries in your area, you can check to see if they have any left over from oil or other baking type fluids. Also, cola manufacturers sometimes get some syrups or other liquids in those types of containers.

Best of luck to ya!

Don

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

We get them from a small home town variety store. There $15 a peace. Or I can buy them full of chicken feed for $55 each.

There getting hard to get. If they have had chemicals in them there not suppose to be sold to the public plus everyone is changing over to the 275 gallon bulk liquid storage cubes. They hold the same amount as 5 drums an have the same footprint as a 4 drum pallet.

Beer kegs might be easier to get?

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:YES .... C & G CONTAINERS 1- 337-77123

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If you give the town your in some one may know a local source.

By the way [​IMG]

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    This company is in Lafayette, La.

My daughter and son in law both work there ....

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Windshield washer fluid isn't anything too nasty, mostly alcohol and water. You could rinse them out well. Otherwise check with any food plants in your area. Bakeries are a good source. Our local feed store has them sometimes. They buy lots of used barrels from local plants and resell them.

8. ohiodoglaw

ohiodoglaw New Egg

Nov 22, 2008
    THe windshield washer fluid has anti-freeze in it though [​IMG]

Thansk for the sources. I'll check a few places!

I'd love to use them as rain barrels too.

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:You'll have to look up what's in the particular washer fluid that was in the drums. Washer fluid usually uses alcohol to keep it from freezing, although some brands may have small amounts of ethylene or propylene glycol in them. You could rinse them well and use them as rain barrels...

10. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    What part of Ohio are you from? If near the NW area you can get try to get some from the cookie factory in McComb. They are used for the cooking oils and such. Perfect for what you want them for. They use both steel and plastic. I know some of the area residents that buy and resell them. I think they ask 8-10 bucks for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by