plastic easter eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by v.cyr, Jun 9, 2011.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    in another thread I had asked about encouraging broodiness, and someone mentioned that a full nest could trigger it... since I would rather not risk actual eggs while waiting for it to work( our roosters are a little too inquisitive for me to think that leaving the eggs in the coop is a good idea), I was wondering if plastic easter eggs would be enough to fool them until one went broody and I could make the swap with the hatching eggs... or would the chickens be able to tell they are fake( by the weight, maybe?)... I have heard of using wooden eggs, but the plastic ones are much easier to find and considerably cheaper...

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My broody sat on a bunch of golf balls until she got real eggs under her. If you are worried about the weight you could fill them with sand or something.

3. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I have two plastic eggs in each nest box - it's working wonderfully! I did use darker eggs so they could see them well. Blue, purple, hot pink etc.

silly chickens.

4. Faith Hope

Faith Hope Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Illinois
    I use plastic easter eggs. We found they work better if you fill them with sand; we also taped them shut so we wouldn't have sand everywhere! I leave 1 or 2 in each nest box. When I put 6 to 8 in a couple of nests this spring, I promptly had 2 dark cornish go broody -- I don't know if it was a coincidence or not. (It could have been them seeing and hearing the baby chicks I bought from a hatchery, I don't know.) But all the girls like to lay in the box with lots of eggs!

5. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    so, filled with sand, they would fool the hens... the golf ball avenue may be a better one for me though... I may be able to get some for free...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by