plastic easter eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyPetunias, Mar 11, 2013.

1. CrazyPetunias

CrazyPetunias Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Michigan
    Since the stores are full of plastic eggs for Easter, I was figuring I should buy a few now for my chicks so I have them when they start laying (probably by July/August). They are just babies now.

Are the chicks picky/suspicious of strange colored eggs? I mean would it matter if the egg was pink with green polkadots? or should I try to find white/brown ones only?

2. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

We tried them with our ducks and they wouldn't go anywhere near them. We figured it was the bright colors. [​IMG]

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Mine accepted plastic eggs after I weighted them. I just put a few rocks in and taped them closed.

4. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    i just bought some the other day, im going to try to get those silkies laying.

5. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    I have a couple plastic eggs in my laying boxes. One is green and the other is blue. My chickens don't seem to notice the difference. I haven't thought about weighting them though. I might have to try that.

6. aemontagnino

aemontagnino New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La.
    We use green, pink and blue. That seemed fitting for our Americanas. ;-)

7. CrazyPetunias

CrazyPetunias Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Michigan
    thanks! I'll get some solid colors to not freak the chicks out too much.

When weighting them, does it have to be packed solid? Will they get scared if there are only a couple of stone in it that shake around? I am sorry if this sounds dumb, but I am sincere. I just don't know. ...don't want them thinking the egg is a reject and decide to go nest somewhere else.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They won't shake them :) I weighted them because they kept knocking them out while arranging the straw. They treat the heavier plastic eggs like the real thing.

9. StelleKitten

StelleKitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    I used golf balls... I didn't think about the plastic easter eggs. Let me know how it works.

10. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I'm using plastic and the birds are playing soccer with them. I find them all over the coop. I weighted them but didn't put any tape on. maybe I should.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by